Before digital cameras came along, you had to set your "F stop" to the proper setting to have the right exposure for your photos. There was a saying among photojournalists: "F8 and be there."--set your camera to F8, and get to the scene ready to go. Not that much has changed, really.

Welcome to the Observer's Photo Blog

Truth be told, I wanted to be a photojournalist when I grew up.

Quotes

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."

"The pictures are there, and you just take them."

WW II photographer Robert Capa

Saturday, January 29, 2011

High School Hoops Are Back!

Took in my first high school basketball game of 2010-11 (instead of the SOTU speech--bad blogger!) on Tuesday night, Ruskin HS entertaining Lee's Summit West.

The crowd holds up their hands in anticipation of a made free throw. This is late in the game when the LS West Titans were fouling to get the ball back. Winning teams make their foul shots! An experimental photo--a SLR would have probably been able to make more difference between the shooter and the crowd in terms of focus, throwing the player more out of focus--but I like the way it came out here pretty well.

Coaching'em up. I was right behind the Ruskin bench to get this shot. It is cropped but not by much. Love it!

West defender meets Ruskin offense.

This is what a stall looks like. Ruskin went into a four corners type offense for a little bit after needing to recover from losing a 10 point lead to West's crazy good three point shooter--he was 5-5 at one point!

Best action shot of the night. I was trying to remember if the ref called a foul--that sure looks like a foul what with #24's thumb wrapped around the shooter's arm.

Love, love, love shooting sports, I do, I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
How much to reveal? There are some nutty people out there! Leave it to say right now that I am well educated, a person of the Christian faith, and never without an opinion.